This is my 430th post- it's a little overwhelming to think I wrote over 400 posts on the environment and yoga!
Although I've done this before, I thought I'd put together my Eco favourites and a 'fess up to the Eco-Failures.
1. The DivaCup: My absolute, most favouritest environmental AND yoga invention ever. I have saved close to 300$, hundreds of tampons from the landfill and TIME with this beauty. Also, practicing yoga has become that much more easier (along with travel, work and ease in every day living!).
2. My prAna revolution eco-mat. I adore my mat, despite the fact that it weighs a ton, is a bit embarrassing to roll out in class (cuz me and the mat are disproportionate) and no longer fits in my yogoco mat bag. Yep, it's been over a year and it's still like new, sticky and beautiful and environmentally friendly. LOVE.
3. No more Paper Towel. This was a tough transition but I would never ever go back. Trying to scrub a sink, tub, toilet or counter with paper towel seems ridiculous now- it's not nearly as clean or effective as a cloth rag. We never buy paper towel, and we don't ever miss it.
4. My Lioli produce bags are my favourite part of shopping. I no longer ever use plastic bags for produce, grains, seeds or rice. These easy to wash, easy to store and fabulous to use little mesh and solid bags not only keep my produce longer (cloth allows breathing while plastic sweats and increases decomp), they also decrease our plastic consumption significantly. It's come to the point that if I forget them, I can't bare to use plastic, so I just wash the produce really well when I get home.
5. Vinegar as a cleaning tool. Weirdly I haven't written about this (that I can find). Guess I didn't think it was EXCITING. I should write about why I heart vinegar now, and how I'd never go back to chemical cleaning. (mental note- made).
6. Going off the birth control pill. Best decision I ever made.
A couple of Eco-Failures since this journey began:
1. Salt deodorant: I am STILL paying for this epic failure. I really really wanted this to work, but unfortunately underarm reactions have had some pretty annoying results that continue to be a challenge.
2. DIY Yogurt: oh yeah, we did this three times and every time I vomited in a little bit in my mouth during the entire process. The texture was just so GROSS. I couldn't handle it. So for a while I just stopped buying yogurt. Then I tried some locally made stuff, but that texture was also really weird and gross. So... I'm currently on a no-yogurt eating kick. Sad really.
3. Soap end bits body wash: ummm- sadly about a week after making this the soap solidified. Awkward.
4. Urban Gardening: Sadly all our attempts have failed, including this year's little rooftop garden. It was impossible to get up there and garden, water and watch over our plants- mostly because we had a short window each day and we'd be walking right next to our neighbour's windows (on the fire escapes). We haven't been up there in weeks and I have no idea what that little box looks like right now.
5. TPE Yoga mats. Not eco-friendly. Need convincing? Post 1, post 2.
Well there you have it!
Upcoming posts this week: soap, vinegar, menstruation and yoga.
article copyright of EcoYogini at ecoyogini.blogspot.com