With the money crunch comes the reality that we can't afford to purchase non-essential things. After a year of living in our new apartment, I was just coming up to feeling like we should make it into a 'home'. Years of apartment living, moving every two years, has resulted in never being able to justify investing the money into making the space a home. I never bought art, furniture or painted. It just seemed like a colossal waste since we'd be moving in a few years anyways.
But now we'll most likely be living the apartment life (cuz who would ever give us a mortgage?) for quite a few more years. Ah, it could be worse, I could be unemployed...
So what to do? Our apartment needed a sprucer-upper.
What's an environmentally friendly option? A top to floor scrub. Yeppers, we spent hours scrubbing the floors, walls, dishes, furniture, appliances. We tidied up, straightened the clutter away and finally I lit some cleansing black candles (pagan). Wouldn't you know it helped.
View from the kitchen (please note Asteya in her favourite place- the box, and yes that is Andrew playing WoW)
View from the door (diagonal to the previous picture. That black thing under the couch is the retired full sized keyboard... wish we had space to haul out that sucker).
More Environmentally Friendly Re-Decor Ideas:
- Now's the yard sale-ing season! Like a huge creep-o, drive (or bicycle!) the streets of your neighbourhood scoping out the loot. Take a deep, full bellied breath, and be prepared to haggle and look through other people's stuff. You never know what you may find for uber cheap! Make sure it's quality though and something you'll love for a while. Don't buy it just cuz it's cheap.
- Replace your comforter with a funky quilt- instant bed change.
- Re-arrange your furniture- zero dollars and may just quell the 'change' itch you got going.
- Choose some of your favourite photos and have them printed. Find some funky frames at a yard sale or a Value Village (used store) and make a fun framed montage.
- Have a little cash but can't buy art? Purchase a canvas, some paint and some paintbrushes. Make your own art!
- Buy fresh flowers at the farmer's market every so often. An instant mood lifter and room brightener.
article copyright of EcoYogini at ecoyogini.blogspot.com