Saturday, February 14, 2009

LOVE DAY: Prioritizing Groceries while Loving your Body!

It is LOVE DAY and the snow is gently falling here in Halifax. After spending a beautiful few days with my parents visiting I am ready to get back into the groove of life. One way that I love my body is to treat it with fantastical fruits and veggies that are local and pesticide free. These treats are SO expensive, and although I wish I could just buy all organic and local- my recovering student budget just doesn't allow it. Instead of spending my money on random organic groceries, I try to purchase organic versions of those fruits and veggies that are typically pesticide enriched. This has been a huge help on my budget and ease of mind. I thought I'd share the list with you! :)

Top Pesticide Enriched Fruits: (PRIORITIZE)
1. Peaches (highest chance of having multiple pesticide types)
2. Apples (most amount of pesticides on any sample)
3. Nectarines 
4. Strawberries
5. Cherries
6. Imported Grapes
7. Pears
8. Sweet Bell Peppers
9. Celery
10. Lettuce
11. Spinach
12. Potatoes

Consistently Chemical Free (YES! Cheaper!!)
1. Onions (multiple pesticide residue was extremely rare on all)
2. Asparagus
3. Sweet Corn
4. Sweet Peas
5. Cabbage
6. Broccoli
7. Eggplant
8. Avocado
9. Pineapples
10. Kiwi
11. Mangoes
12. Bananas

Now those last few on the fruit end: I would normally purchase Organically simply because of the shipping carbon footprint added by their exotic fruit status, if I buy them at all. 

In any case- this little list has helped me make the most of my organic purchases while keeping to a smaller budget! :) 

Happy LOVE DAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! So I don't miss a comment, I like "pre-approving" them :)
I ask only that we stay respectful.
Also, please note that this is a personal blog and not a space for advertising your company. I reserve the right to delete "advertising" comments.

**NB: The ANONYMOUS option is the BEST way to comment if you don't have a blogger or established google/gmail account.
Merci!