I have watched this studio grow from tiny roots to a knew studio, ownership and expansion of a new studio space. I had hopes... some of my favourite yoga classes happen there. But. The studio is just so catastrophically environmentally BAD. And well... you know moi, I just kinda care about our Planet a little bit. It's sorta important to me.
So why would I put my (limited) money supply into a studio that simply doesn't appear to give a crap about how yoga can impact our planet? Seriously, in our consumer-driven society, one way we can send a clear message for change is to back it up with loonies and twonies (for you non-Canadians, that's one and two dollar coins lingo lol).
What is this studio doing that has irked my Eco-yoga-ness?
- Heated rooms using floor heat fans. Ridiculously wasteful and energy intensive. At least have an energy plan to offset the carbon used, or acquire the energy through Bullfrog... there are many options...
- Renos... using no environmentally available options. High VOC paints, fake laminate flooring (icky toxic glue and all) expanding and installing TWO extra bathrooms and showers (um energy?). Sigh, opportunity missed.
- Chemical laden cleaning supplies, including triclosan plastic enclosed hand wash and ridiculous "no sweat" mat cleaner (no ingredient list... sketchy. Email to company has been sent).
- Paper paper paper! Sign up sheets clutter the desk for every single class imaginable. Paper posters line the walls that will be replaced and taken down in a few weeks, ridiculously small mini schedules for taking, cards... There are a dozen more sustainable ways to sign up clients and display information.
- No reasonable recycling sorting or ANY composting... in a municipality where not composting and recycling is *Illegal*.... so lame.
- Not even a smidgeon of hint of plan to consider our planet in any business practice they have done or will do.
There are many studios in HRM that are doing a much better job at protecting our planet through yoga.
(the way yoga should be... outside :) can't wait for Yoga in the Park again this year!)
We can all do this, yogi(ni)s. It's time to stop thinking of yoga studios as above criticism or beyond responsibility. Promoting and providing a spiritual practice does not excuse trashing our Planet.
Tomorrow will be my last class at this studio (Coffee and Yoga has already promised to flash mob a yin-yang class :) ), after this EcoYogini will be putting her yoga money where her heart is.
article copyright of EcoYogini at ecoyogini.blogspot.com