Quick stats as to why you should care (beyond the ridiculous oil gushing into our precious ocean):
- plastic products last forever.... or minimum 1000 years. At least.
- plastic is made from toxic petroleum, which we destroy our oceans and earth in order to extract followed by spewing out tons of chemicals to refine.
- We had a nice big Pacific Garbage Patch the size of Texas hanging out in our ocean.
- food kept and heated in plastic containers have been shown to take on chemical properties of said petroleum plastic.
- According to CBC documentary 'The Disappearing Male', research is starting to point to plastic (toys, containers, shower curtains) as the culprit for a decrease in sperm numbers and ultimately number of male births.
Another step in our 'Oil Independence Plan' was to decrease plastic food storage in our lives. Which was deceptively difficult.
Long Term Goal: Eliminate ziploc bags as food storage.
Short Term Steps:
- Get used to storing cheese in a ziploc container instead of a bag. This took some time, but we finally figured out the perfect size container- score!
- Buy glass storage containers. We started with three glass anchor containers. Eventually, as I realized we would use them, we slowly bought more glass containers, some of different sizes.
- Start storing veggies in glass containers. This actually was easier than I thought. I always cut the center away from peppers and such so squeezing them in was no problem. Just had to figure out how to fit them in the fridge.
- Stop buying ziploc bags... when we run out, we run out. I don't even remember it being an event when it happened! I only realized when a guest asked for one that we were out!).
Canadian peppers in a glass container
Our cluttered container cupboard
Do you have some ideas to help you go ziploc, plastic food storage free?
article copyright of EcoYogini at ecoyogini.blogspot.com