My first reaction for the past 36 days has been to put my fingers in my ears and sing "lalalalala" as loud as possible. Andrew didn't really appreciate this happening in the middle of his sentence.
It feels pretty darn hopeless, what can we really do while millions of gallons of oil are polluting and devastating our ocean? We spend our time blaming BP, blaming the American President's supposed "laissé faire" attitude and lack of leadership. Pointing fingers can be lots of fun... but perhaps similar to my 'finger-in-ear-lalalala' strategy; avoiding the fundamental message.
Oil containers and refinery in St John NB- thought they contained ice cream as a child... what? I was a gullible kid.
Why were BP drilling oil? Cuz it was fun and they really love doing oil-runs on crazy carpets? We, 'affluent' (comparatively) global community are each responsible. Perhaps we're dedicating our yoga practice to the healing of the ocean, while we use electricity to light our homes and studios, cook our food and oil in the form of the plastics we surround ourselves, the plastic of our mats, clothing and props, our cars we drive and our heat.
A fraction of what is locally called 'Gotham City' in the fog and smog...It's not like BP (and other oil companies) are simply going to stop drilling for the good of our planet- as long as we continue to buy oil (in one form or another) we're supporting practices like drilling for oil that have led to this disaster.
Of course, we all know that simply purging our lives of everything oil-petroleum is unrealistic at this time. At the same time, if we truly value the planet we live on, which supports us and gives us Life, recognizing this catastrophe as an opportunity to make significant changes will bring us closer to living in Harmony with Earth.
Take a breath, mindfully step back and accept a small token of responsibility for the oil that is destroying thousands of beings habitats and lives. Make that first step to change;
- Buy a bicycle and bike or walk as often as possible.
- Avoid plastic. Recycling isn't enough, we know that now.
- turn off the lights, tv, computer, air conditioner.
- turn down the heat by 5 degrees.
- Need a new mat-clothing? Buy local and sustainable (ie not made in China).
- Choice of two food options? Choose the locally(est) sustainably harvested.
- Buy used or second hand. It's called previously loved.
- Vote! Voting is so essential and the majority of voters are over 40 and male. The government's interests reflect theirs, not yours.
- Each person can make a difference- don't believe how our 'tiny' choices make a difference? Read on... how 30 million people each day doubt... and the consequence.
Blessings and Happy Flower Moon!
article and photograph copyright of EcoYogini at ecoyogini.blogspot.com