As we know, the absolute best Yogini companion is the DivaCup (or any other menstrual cup available out there). My first leap of faith in announcing my DivaCup cheerleading self resulted in some pretty awesome tips and discussion. We covered why using a menstrual cup will save you money and the environment (think 12 billion tampons in the landfill per year-ick!). The last post- sharing stories of how we've converted people over to the 'dark-side' of eco-menstruation.
Although I still think the DivaCup is fantastically awesome, it's not all fluffy bunnies and happy asana-ing. In case there are others out there who have some similar thoughts pop up during moontime, I thought I'd put mine out there.
- The gross disgusting squish noise it makes when I try to quietly and surreptitiously remove it. Seriously, I know this is TMI, but we don't have a fan in our current apt and in 540sq ft it's really not hard to hear what goes in there (ahem, we usually have music for serious bathroom business...). Could my body make a grosser sound?
- The fact that I have to clean it, with an old toothbrush. And that I hide it WAY far back in a drawer to make sure I don't accidentally try to brush my teeth (UGH Goddess forbit) with it. Vomit, just a little in my mouth there.
- Since I am no longer on the estrogen-pill schedule, *knowing* when I start my moontime has become a intuitive 'recognize the symptoms' game. Which means this month I had to run over to Pete's and purchase some gross organic cotton tampons. My DivaCup was hanging out in my bathroom at home.
- Trying to remove the DivaCup when you have to pee is NOT fun. That is all I will say on the matter.
- The beautiful 'rustic' colour transformation. Now boiling is done in secret, cuz there is no way Andrew will witness what has become of the cup.
- When friends come over and need 'emergency' supplies... I no longer have any to share, which although leads to a 'join the DivaCup club' convo, doesn't solve their immediate problem.
Despite it's oddities, why I still adore my Cup:
- In three years of use I have only bought tampons once (this month).
- I *never* worry about leaking or anything at all for the entire day (I know some ladies do change a few times in a day, but I'm fortunate that my flow is medium).
- I can practice Yoga, go swimming, anything I want without any worry whatsoever.
- No little string as a telltale reminder for significant other ('nuff said).
- No more chemicals or dyes are in close contact with my beautiful Vagina.
- Because I have been using the DivaCup I have, to this date, prevented approximately 900 tampons from entering the landfill and saved over 400$.
Dear readers, I am sorry if this was a bit much for an Overshare. Maybe you also have some eccentricities to share?
article copyright of EcoYogini at ecoyogini.blogspot.com