Andrew and I, living on a budget, have been trying to enjoy a more frugal lifestyle and benefit from that which is "free". Seeing value in the moment, in the experience as opposed to the object is a difficult road for most of us who've been indoctrinated and "brainwashed" in our society's culture of consumerism.
Christmas is the most flagrant example of consumerism at it's best. Oh the excitement of opening a gift, of seeing all those prettily packaged boxes under the tree. I'm not going to lie, it's pretty darn exciting every time.
At the same time I LOVE giving. I adore searching out the perfect gift and seeing the receiver's face when they open it. My most fond memories of Christmas though, have to do with family gatherings and friends over on Christmas Eve, with the tree decorated, some spiced rum eggnog and apple cider and Christmas carols sung while I played the piano.
All of November I sincerely resisted all the beginnings of Christmas season preparations (mostly due to the ridiculous consumer aspect). Now that December is here I find myself starting to get excited again. Excited to actually decorate our apartment for Yule this year. For finding perfect little gifts and searching out fun-free Holiday season-type stuff to do.
On this day of the full moon, while I watched the moon set this morning and rise this evening, so fantastically full and ready... My thoughts moved to what I want to preserve this December.
Here are my small December-Yule Mini-Adventures:
- Embrace my Personal Practice as it has faltered a tiny bit.
- Discover some fun free activities in the city such as caroling
- Decorate our apartment sustainably and cheaply
- Bake something seasonal and yummy
- Find small meaningful gifts for family members- either "green" or handmade
- Officially celebrate Yule/Winter Solstice with a bit of ritual
- Have a Christmas/Yule supper with friends who are remaining in Halifax
- Watch some fun Christmas movies like "The Muppet's"
- Practice Yoga and kindness
- Mom- when you read this: have a fun Christmas Eve with music!
- Bring my guitar to the hospital and sing Christmas Carols to Grand-mere and other hospital bound persons.
Some of these adventures will involve posts :)
What will you be doing for the Holiday season this year?
article and photographs copyright of EcoYogini at ecoyogini.blogspot.com