Thursday, January 1, 2009

Yoga and the Environment?


Practicing yoga for several years has broadened my knowledge of spirituality and health. Each class seemed full of extra teachings regarding how to live the "yogic" lifestyle. As my unbendy and wobbly body moved through the poses and increased it's range of flexibility (Yay I can touch my toes!!) other areas of interest also blossomed and soon I considered myself an "Ecoholic" in tandem to a Yogini. For a while these terms were kept separate... until it became increasingly evident that being "eco-friendly" should actually be a staple in my yogic life.
While practicing yoga we learn that "non-harming" or
ahimsa is one of it's most important tenants. Non-harming and respect for all life includes Earth and our environment. Naturally our Western culture's newest obsession of molding yoga to suit our hectic, stressful life has resulted in a focus on being trendy (i.e. Lululemon) as opposed to healthy. It didn't make sense for me to be practicing yoga on a lululemon mat that is full of harmful chemicals and will join the landfill brigade bent on off-gassing for years to come. I also started to wonder why I was wearing yoga clothing that was "conciously formulated in Vancouver" but "made in China"... and created with fabrics that were either synthetic or grown with pesticides (replacing acres of rainforest) or processed using extremely toxic chemicals (i.e. bamboo or lyocell).

So this blog is for all those Yoginis and Yogis out there that are looking for eco-friendly alternatives to their yoga practice and to share ideas! I'll share my discoveries of new environmentally friendly yoga gear, studios, trends and clothing along with discussions on eco-topics and debates (i.e. bamboo vs organic cotton).

Namasté
& Blessed Be!

1 comment:

  1. Hi there,

    Eco Yogini has been listed in the Yoga section of "Wellness Resources" on somibo.com: the soul, mind and body connection. Thousands of somibo users will begin finding you through somibo, and somibo.com users can also rate and review your site.

    somibo.com is 100% free and our mission is to help the growing movement of wellness-seekers and the millions of people interested in health and well-being find the best wellness related businesses and resources in their neighborhoods, cities, and around the world.

    We would appreciate it if you would mention somibo in your blog, place a text link to "somibo.com: the soul, mind and body connection" or one of the somibo.com logos linking to somibo.com (http://somibo.com/wellness-resources/?act=linkus)

    If you are interested in writing about somibo.com and have any questions about the site or its goals, please contact the site founder at somibo@somibo.com.

    Thank you and all the best to you!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! So I don't miss a comment, I like "pre-approving" them :)
I ask only that we stay respectful.
Also, please note that this is a personal blog and not a space for advertising your company. I reserve the right to delete "advertising" comments.

**NB: The ANONYMOUS option is the BEST way to comment if you don't have a blogger or established google/gmail account.
Merci!