Friday, January 16, 2009

Mmmmm Cinnamon and Cloves

Today it is COLD and so so dry. After my yoga class last night I actually had the pasties... YUCK. -27 Celcius really isn't the coldest I've ever experienced, but my skin has been spoiled with the beautiful coastal weather and is now screaming for moisture.
My favourite remedy for this post "Ecoholic" was Aveda's sugar body scrub. At a hefty price and filled with chemicals, it gave my skin a nice, smooth glow. I went through a phase of being determined to make all my own beauty products (with somewhat interesting results). The one thing that I was ridiculously successful at was a sugar body scrub!
The following "recipe" for my sugar body scrub is a wonderful, chemical free alternative that I guarantee will make your skin soft, smooth and feel beautiful! A quick trip to the health food section at the Superstore or an actual Health Foods Store to get a few supplies and you'll be good to go for months :)

"Gingersnap Body Scrub"
*before beginning you'll need something to store the body scrub in: I found these really cute glass containers at the Superstore by Anchor Hocking. I would suggest finding a glass container, as plastic may leach chemicals and glass looks better :)

Ingredients:
3/4 cup of organic fair trade dark brown suger (or white- but dark brown adds a nice smell)
1/4 cup of epsom salts
2 tablespoons of local (and organic if you can!) honey
1/4 cup of sweet almond oil
1/4 cup of jojoba oil
5 drops of clove essential oil
3 drops of cinnamon essential oil

Mix: Sugar and Epsom salts together in a glass/ceramic bowl with a whisk
      then add the honey, almond and jojoba oil and mix
      carefully add the essential oils to your taste for scent (avoid cinnamon if you are pregnant)
     scoop into the container

Use: carefully massage all over body during your shower (avoid face). Careful! the shower may be slippery from the oils afterwards :) You can also put a couple of spoonfuls into your bath for a natural bath melt alternative!

Happy weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! So I don't miss a comment, I like "pre-approving" them :)
I ask only that we stay respectful.
Also, please note that this is a personal blog and not a space for advertising your company. I reserve the right to delete "advertising" comments.

**NB: The ANONYMOUS option is the BEST way to comment if you don't have a blogger or established google/gmail account.
Merci!